Declare Your Independence: Pass It On

The demoralization of the American voter is one of the most insidious effects of the reigning two-party system and the ideology which sustains and reproduces the political status quo. Given the fact that most voters are forced to choose between a candidate they dislike and a candidate they dislike more, when they are even offered a choice at all, it is no small wonder that voter turnout is not any lower than it already is. There are, however, many ways for folks to demonstrate their discontent with the duopoly system. The simplest is to change one's party affiliation. The rise in the number of registered and self-described independents across the country is undoubtedly a cause of great concern for partisans on both sides of the duopoly divide. Perhaps the most striking aspect of this trend is that it is not the product of an organized nationwide campaign, but rather the result of autonomous action on the part of millions of individuals. There are likely ongoing efforts afoot across the country to formalize this movement. A group in New Jersey provides us with an example: MOVE Now.
Our silent objections have become permission slips for the candidates use in passing legislations at neck breaking speed, of which the consequences have yet to be felt. The political system no longer can operate as a two-party system. Only the people allow it to exist this way, and it is no longer useful to the people in this country. We need a political system that is just as diverse as our population, but at the same time honors the Founding Fathers Principles that made this the greatest country in the world . . . There is one thing that we can all do right now to make our voices heard in Washington. Participate in the MOVE Now Movement.

(Make Your Voices Heard Now.)

It requires you to do only one thing:
Change your party affiliation to anything other than Democrat or Republican.

A simple web search using "change party affiliation" and including your home state will bring up information that will help you. You can also call your County Clerk and ask. Every State may very well have a different process or application form. Some States allow you to use the Voter Registration Form. If there are no specific parties on your form other than Democratic or Republican, then just select Independent or Unaffiliated. You can send in your completed form to your local County Clerk or Board of Elections Office.

Party affiliation doesn't mean that you have to vote for that party in the election. I've been an Independent all my life and I've voted Democrat, Republican, Green Party, etc.

Want to make more of an impact? Select a party that your State recognizes, and become a paying member. Start steering the political money away from those in power in Washington, and they will have no choice but to start taking notice, and listen to the pulse of the country.

This country cannot continue to be divided by an imaginary line in the sand, asking ourselves "Which side are you on?" Behind the curtain, the vast majority of Democrat and Republican politicians conduct business with the same agenda, there is very little difference between them. They have to accept that our political views, our values and principles are more diverse than the so called two-party system that is supposed to represent us. We can make it happen together. We can find a way through peaceful resolve through demonstrations and debate.

If you feel helpless and don't know what to do, then get Involved and M.O.V.E. Now.

1. Change your Party Affiliation
2. Become a known member and donate to your new party.
3. Tell everyone you know and encourage them to make the M.O.V.E
4. Pass this message along and spread the word


Anonymous said...

Here is a link to the Maine Voting Guide.

It should be noted that to vote in the primary or caucus you must change your party 15 days before those and when you change your party you must keep that affiliation for at least three months. This is important because Maine's Green Party does hold primaries.

Hope this helps.

d.eris said...

Thanks Derek. Here's the relevant page from the NY Board of Elections: voter registration information, NYS. The page notes, however, that "You cannot CHANGE your enrollment and vote in the NEW PARTY of your choice in the same year. Please Note: a change of enrollment will go into affect one week following the General Election. The last day to change your enrollment is the same as the last day to register for the General Election." What is the sense of such a regulation? If you change your affiliation, you can't immediately vote for the party you've just joined? Is this meant to stop duopolists from undermining one another?