Guest Posts

I'm pleased to report that Michael O'Connor has taken up my invitation to readers interested in guest posting here at Poli-Tea. I've been following Michael's blog, The Rotterdam Windmill, with great interest over the last few months, as he's documented his independent campaign for a seat on his local town board. The first post that caught my attention at The Windmill was on labels from this past March:
My disappointment with the status quo has led me to believe that real solutions will be offered not by either of the major parties, but by a new independent movement . . . I’ve been a registered Republican since I came of voting age many years ago. Increasingly, I’ve found myself pulling the lever for candidates of all stripes – Republican, Democrat, Independent, Conservative – especially at the local level where ideology often counts for less. The cumulative effect of the political bickering and maneuvering between the various parties has achieved very little other than consistently increasing the tax burden. I’ve had enough.

I’ve discovered recently that party structure and decision-making is rigid and controlled, driven by motives and mechanisms I don’t have any interest in. I mistakenly believed that our interest as citizens was paramount. I’m disappointed to learn otherwise.

I find myself at a political crossroads of sorts. I’m not a politician. A purely independent run is daunting and appealing in the same breath. But if I don’t win, then what was the point? I’m not looking to make a valiant stand for idealism – I’m looking to make a real contribution to the betterment of my community.

No comments:

 
http://www.wikio.com